Rock Flow Dynamics released the latest update in 2020 of the tNavigator software package. Version 20.4 is now available to users. Updates and improvements affected the simulator kernel, AHM and Uncertainty module, Geology and Model Designer, PVT Designer, Well and Network Designer.
Version 20.4 is the third release, which was developed and tested by RFD employees working remotely.
The key new features are:
- In simulation kernel:
- For the purposes of GPU calculation, NVIDIA Ampere graphic cards are now supported.
- In hydraulic fracture modeling, creation of horizontal non-neighbor connections using inactive blocks in fracture zones is now supported.
- Variables defined by DEFINES can now be passed as arguments to APPLYSCRIPT scripts.
- A new function grid_arithmetic() has been added for accessing grid arithmetic methods from scripts.
- In the Assisted History Matching and Uncertainty module a new optimization algorithm Ensemble Smoother is available; it is based on the Kalman Filtering algorithm.
- In Geology and Model Designers:
- The export of models in RESQML format is now supported. This format allows transfer of 3D static models created using different software between projects.
- The first implementation of new functionalities to run a Workflow on a cluster has been added. Both static and dynamic model creation workflows can now be run this way.
- A functionality which increases workflow interaction through embedding of some interface elements (checkboxes, filepath widgets, user dialogs, etc.) has been added.
- A new feature to expand Nested Workflows and visualize their dialogs while running a general workflow has been added.
- The smoothing option for well trajectories is now implemented with the trajectory color changing when the DLS is exceeded.
- The Page Layout window now supports the creation of new independent windows, which are no longer attached to the main windows opened in the project.
- In Geology Designer:
- A new object named Stratigraphic Tables has been added to the project object tree.
- A new interpolation method Natural Neighbor Interpolation has been introduced for 2D Maps and Horizons.
- A new partition type Explicit Proportional is available for grids.
- The Amazonas interpolation (Discrete) algorithm has been added; it is optimized for discrete properties interpolation.
- Log curves can now be computed in an existing well using a 3D seismic survey.
- The multi point facies simulation stochastic method (MPS 3D) now supports a new type of training object, which is a 3D property.
- A new data transformations tab is now available for Blocked Wells. If a trend model exists, transformations can help subtract a trend from the well data for further analysis.
- In Model Designer:
- The conversion of user keywords to rules for the selected strategy is now available.
- Fractures may now be set in tabular form using virtual perforations (the FRACTURE_SPECS keyword).
- For imported models, the conversion of the WFRACL, WFRACP, WFRACPL keywords to the Enable Fracture Specs rule (the FRACTURE_SPECS keyword) has been implemented.
- Well trajectory optimization using DLS is now available for Well Placement Editor.
- In Well Designer for multilateral wells, the branches’ junctions with the wellbore are displayed. You may switch between the well and the branch constructions by clicking on the junction.
- In Network Designer:
- The display of surface networks is now supported in 3D windows.
- Graph templates have been added to the Graphs tab.
- In PVT Designer the critical Z factor and the critical Z factor for the viscosity calculation may now be exported.
A full list of improvements can be downloaded from the link.